Sunday, March 7, 2010

scallop salad saturday.



brontosaurus diet says that you're allowed fish (and eggbeaters... just not necessarily together) one to two times a week, if you have to.
after six days on, i had a piece of tilapia. i made it with just a bit of garlic in the pan, pressed half a lemon, and some basil. considering i had eaten only fruits, veggies, & beans all week, my taste buds couldn't have been more thrilled with my dinner choice that saturday. like i had said earlier, with limiting myself to natural foods, it has really retrained me and my palate to enjoy what i'm eating, instead of just mindlessly eating whatever i can get my hands on.
eating this piece of lightly prepared tilapia, was fantastic!

my saturday fantasy dinner started tuesday, when morales let me try the salad she made the night before. hardly seared bay scallops, mixed spring greens, avacado, goat cheese, and a bit of balsamic. i was sold when she told me that between the salad and her burger, she couldn't decide which perfect bite she wanted to end her meal with.
i was sold!
so, this week, i treated myself to scallops. while i don't exactly recall shellfish being on the brontosaurus plan, nutritionally scallops aren't too bad. according to thedailyplate.com,
bay scallops - raw / 100 calories / 1g fat / 35g cholesterol / 18g protein
so i seared me some scallops, threw them on a mix of spring greens and iceberg, added an ounce of goat cheese (yeah, i cheated there too, and it was so worth it) and some avacado. i drizzled a little balsamic on the top, which was gratuitous at that point. i had cut my avocados friday night and let them sit in lemon juice (so they didn't brown) and cilantro. they were a little too acidy in the salad, and so i left the job to plain avocados for sunday.

the best salads are the ones that don't even need dressing.
and this one did not.

No comments:

Post a Comment